According to a survey by Salary.com, most of us are not efficient with our time. Some 62% of respondents stated they waste an hour or less of their workday. However, another 4% reported that they wasted at least four hours at work every day.
At Flex Tech, we believe one of the best tools for a successful day lies in how you plan out your day. So we’ve come up with a list of time management tips that will help you get the most out of your time at work.
1) Take the first 30 mins of each day to plan out the rest of your day. You should know what you need to accomplish each day and how much time each task takes. So take the time to plan your day accordingly so you don’t wander aimlessly from task to task. It will give you focus and a sense of purpose.
2) Prioritize your work. Keep track of your deadlines and how much time each task will take. Determine which are most important and what needs to be completed today. Move those to the top of your priority list and get them handled first. Once you complete your priority items, move on to future projects so you can get a head start on the next task.
3) Plan for distractions. Interruption-free days are very rare. So when you plan out your day, make sure to give yourself extra time for each task to account for interruptions and distractions.
4) Complete one task at a time. As much as we hear about the necessity of multi-tasking, it’s better to focus all of your attention on one project at a time. While our brains allow us to shift our attention from one task to another very quickly, studies show that it takes approximately 25 minutes to mentally zone back in on a task once we’ve been interrupted. So finish what you start before moving on.
5) Decide what you want to accomplish before you begin a task. This will give you a goal to achieve and give you a sense of closure once the job is complete. Plus knowing what kind of results to expect is a great way to motivate yourself.
6) Block out social media distractions. While we can’t prevent every distraction, we can cut ourselves off from social media distractions. Turn the notifications off while on your phone. If you have to use social media for your job, schedule specific times to be engaged or set up auto-posts so you don’t have to stop what you’re doing.
7) Give yourself mini-breaks between tasks. After you complete one task, give yourself a few minutes before you begin the next one. This will help your brain reach closure with the previous project while preparing it for the next one.
We all have the same 24 hours in a day. How we choose to use them is what determines our success or failure. So how do you want to spend your time?